1. In most states, the 2018 Open Enrollment Period runs from November 1 to December 15, 2017.
Most consumers have six weeks to enroll in or renew a plan, which starts January 1, 2018.
A handful of states have extended Open Enrollment for 2018 health plans.
The following states are extending the Open Enrollment Period with a Special Enrollment Period: CA, CO, CT, DC, MA, MN, NY, RI, and WA. See specific dates.
2. Clients can get free help to enroll or renew their plan.
This is especially important for people who are new to coverage, have complex health care needs, or experience language barriers. Free, 24/7 assistance is available to everyone through the Marketplace. To enroll or get assistance, consumers can call the Marketplace call center at 1 (800) 318-2596 and talk to a trained enrollment specialist or search the HealthCare.gov directory for alocal organization offering in-person assistance.
3. For clients who already have Marketplace coverage, now is the time to shop around and avoid getting auto-enrolled into a plan that may not be right for them.
If clients do not log onto the Marketplace and actively choose a plan, they will be automatically re-enrolled in their current plan on the last day of Open Enrollment. If their plan is not available for next year, they will be auto-enrolled into a different plan with a similar premium.
4. Low-cost plans are available for most consumers.
Last year, 8 in 10 people were eligible for financial help. Eighty percent of consumers can find a plan that costs less than $75 per month.
5. The penalty for not having health insurance will be a minimum of $695 for most people.
California - Covered California - January 31, 2018
Colorado - Connect for Health Colorado - January 12, 2018
Connecticut - Access Health CT - December 22, 2017
District of Columbia - DC Health Link - January 31, 2018
Massachusetts - MA Health Connector - January 23, 2018
Minnesota - MNsure - January 14, 2018
New York - NY State of Health - January 31, 2018
Rhode Island - Health Source RI - December 31, 2017
Washington - WA Health Plan Finder - January 15, 2018